a different kind of perfect

i'm a mom...on a mission...to enjoy life everyday...appreciate the little moments...try not to get so easily annoyed...raise my kids with a faith legacy that leads them to continue to be amazing people...and to make my husband feel as special as he makes me feel.

What is Cystic Fibrosis?

CF is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30k children and adults in the US (70k worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that both clogs the lungs and obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food. [www.cff.org]

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Another year we're Shufflin'

I didn't plan on a post today but really had a moment during the 2013 Shamrock Shuffle so thought I'd share.

My training wasn't what it should have been, I do admit that one.  Jim will testify to that, but I signed up because we like to do this race together when we can and a good friend motivated me to sign up days before it closed (thanks Kelly...this post title is for you :) ).

Anyway, I wasn't in the best of moods preparing to run this 8K myself.  Jim, in his fitness excellence, managed to run his way to a Corral B start (I was 20 minutes behind) so I was giving him a hard time for running a race "with him" when we were only with each other until gear check.

The weather was beautiful for a run and after waiting 45 minutes for the start, I actually generated enough excitement to pump myself up for my solo journey.  Decked out in my Team CF shirt, I was pumped and ready to start.  Crossing the start line was nice but my limited training showed within the first half-mile and the cold wind and air made it really difficult to catch my breath.  I was struggling and not happy.  As I crossed past mile marker 1, I immediately thought of the irony of me struggling to catch my breath as I run in a race where I helped raise money for all those suffering to breathe.  I almost lost it.  I made all those crazy faces one makes to keep the tears from falling and I knew our adorable nieces were waiting at mile 2 so had that to keep me strong and focused.  I saw Nikki, Charlie and Kimmy and immediately felt better, knowing how many people are out there supporting you in so many different ways helped. I got a few quick hi-fives before turning to continue and shortly was able to regulate my breathing.

Nikki & Charlie
 I was relieved to be running steady, breathing steady and starting to enjoy the race.  I was about halfway through but mentally found it hard to get over the fact that some people just don't get to get that big gulp of fresh air or feel the satisfaction of a deep breath.  Dean is fortunate enough now to have full lung function but I was scared for the inevitable, sad for the CFers that deal with it already and praying for Holly who recently lost her battle.  Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful day out there and the crowds cheering and people are great but when you pray to God to help get you through something, you have to be prepared that it's not going to be easy.  Just at that moment, another fellow Team CF runner runs past me, says hi and tells me to keep up the good work.  Right place, right moment, I really needed that.  So I kept on running, vowing that I'm not going to stop (the race, nor the fight for the cure).  The crowds during the last mile were motivating, the music was pumping, the finish line ahead, end in site and later finding out that not only did I run my personal best but Jim smashed his personal record. I'm predicting an elite runner title in his future.  Good job babe!

After the race, we met up with Kim and Brian after his awesome run, some other great fellow runners, met some new friends and old friends from years ago and the most adorable 2 year old we've only seen in pictures!

Oh, and the coolest thing of all...on the way to pick up the packet a few days back, Jim's explaining to the kids where the race will start, end, where the lake is and Dean says, "Daddy, when I grow big, I'm going to run a race too."  I'm determined to run a race with Dean one day and dedicated to make sure he has the breath to do it with.  Please save the date for our Chillin' & Grillin' for a cure on Saturday June 8th, 2013 at our place and if you're unable to make it, please consider a tax deductible donation:
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/JimandErinBurns

With love, 

Ere
BY, Jim, Erin


Bananas and Beer Post Race

My running buddies next year:  Scott & Sue
 

No comments:

Post a Comment